So I was thrilled the first time I saw Golden Milk on a cafe menu: at last there is a delicious, warm drink that is jammed with ingredients that nourish teeth and gums. It goes by many names: Golden Latte. Golden Milk or Golden Tea, and Turmeric Tea.
There are also as many flavor variations as there are fancy coffees in a Starbucks but they all have turmeric in common, which gives it the golden glow and the powerful anti-inflammatory qualities.
Turmeric’s healing powers
The benefits of consuming turmeric extend to the whole body, but because we are focusing on oral health I’ll just mention a few of its amazing powers. Turmeric is
- Wound Healing
Whether your gums are just starting to recede or you are dealing with chronic periodontal disease, turmeric can help to heal and prevent inflamed gums, abscesses and infections.
How to make Golden Milk for gum health
To get the full benefits of turmeric it should be consumed:
- warm (or at least room temperature)
- with fat for absorption
- with black pepper to activate the turmeric.
Extra teeth healing value comes from using butter
Keep these three things in mind as you take the basic recipe below and adapt it to your preferences and need. Experiment- its hard to go too wrong!
Golden Milk basic recipe
Makes one serve.
- 1 cup raw milk or whole organic milk or coconut milk or activated almond milk or bone broth or water
- ½ teaspoon or more powdered turmeric, fresh turmeric or fermented turmeric paste
- dash of black pepper
- ½-1+ teaspoon butter (or coconut oil)
- ¼+ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼+ teaspoon ground ginger or grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder (or 1 pod split)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 -1 teaspoons raw honey or 1-5 drops pure liquid stevia or maple syrup
Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat for 5-10 minutes but do NOT bring to the boil.
Whisk well to to blend and foam.
If using fresh turmeric ginger or cardamom strain out the lumpy bits.
Serve warm in a mug garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon or turmeric.
Check out Feed Your Teeth my FREE e-guide for more teeth and gum healing nutrition.